Friday, September 5, 2008

Happy Birthday to Me!


OKAY...so I am officially "diving" into my 30's with turning 31 yesterday! I don't feel any older than I did at 21, or maybe I have just forgotten how I felt 10 years ago. :-) It is funny to me how as life goes on, birthdays take on a different meaning. For instance, if I reverse the age I am now and think back to a young 13-year-old Nicole, I would find myself anxiously awaiting my 13th birthday and the presents I would receive. Maybe there was a desire for new clothes and shoes...style is so important to a new teenager, right? Or better yet, just some money so that I could spend it on myself however I choose to. It's funny how when I look back on it, I am amazed at how selfish my immaturity allowed me to be. Why must we be older before we realize what's really important? Sure, getting gifts is wonderful and special, but now I find myself happy with just having a good meal with my family, maybe a cake or some kind of sweet, and of course, my dad's version of the "Happy Birthday" song is always a treat. Honestly, I feel like it's my birthday practically everyday when I open the doors to my children's bedrooms and see the gifts they are. Gifts that God has given to me. Another Sept. 4th has come and gone just as it has for 31 years now. And that 13-year-old girl and her view of the world has since gone, too. Lord, thank you for the gifts you give to me everyday. May I always be reminded that the greatest gift I could ever receive is your love. nicole

4 comments:

Emily said...

Nicole,
I am so proud of you! I did not find it very easy to create a blog page, I may be emailing you for some assistance! Your babies are so cute! I cannot wait to get Ema so they can tear up the neighborhood together! The song in the background is awesome. I have it on my ipod and listen to it often. The storm we were in a few weeks ago brought us so much closer to God and I am so thankful for that. He is an amazing God!

Kirk & Emily

Susan Sampson said...

I am so excited that you started your own blog! You are really good at it. You are a great writer...you tend to bring tears to my eyes (in a good way) talking about your babies! I plan to stay tuned to your amazing writing on your blog! Love, Susan

Susan said...

Nicole,
I am so proud of you! This is a great way to share your family's moments with us. Thanks for including me so I can keep up with John Owen,Jonah and Mary Claire! I started tearing up on the first post and cried more and more on the rest(happy tears). Having grown up with you or should I say having watched you grow up I remember that 13 year old girl and you were pretty sweet then, too! Just want to say I love you and your wonderful family.
Love, Suza :)
p.s. your Daddy still calls me that :)

Pat said...

I'm with Susan!
I think you've always been pretty special!
It's wonderful reading what you have to say and seeing how you have grown closer to the LORD!
Remember when I was you Sunday School teacher!
"Ms" Pat