Friday, August 7, 2009

What A Week!




When I look at last week's pictures of my boys taking their turn at the "spider jump" and think about how they must have felt nervous as they stepped out of their comfort zones to accomplish this, I also think about my own nervousness that surrounded this week's events and my new job I began at my new school.
The past week has been invigorating to say the least! I don't think I've really slowed down much since my feet hit the floor Monday morning! I have found that starting a new job came with much of what I expected and some things that I didn't. I expected to get to know new faces and personalities. And I have. I still have many more to meet and get to know. I have accomplished (with the help of a few WONDERFUL people) stamping and shelving the new shipment of 4500+ books our school received for collection. Whew! Can't believe we got it done! You should have seen the mountains of boxes and paper! I got excited about the new books I was putting on the shelves. I think a smile came to my face every time I shelved a book that I remembered reading. I loved books by Beverly Cleary when I was young...Ramona and Ralph S. Mouse! Remember those? Seeing those again made me feel good!

I enjoyed our speaker at our county wide inservice...you know someone is good at what they do when they have made you laugh, cry and feel like you can accomplish just about anything you put your mind to. Great motivational speaker! I wish you all could have been there to hear him speak about overcoming the "Goliaths" in your life!

And as I reflect in my exhaustion on this week's events, I have to say that I learned (or was reminded) of who I am and that the only person I can control is me. I met so many different people, people who are different from me in many ways and some who are very similar. I was reminded that leaving your "comfort zone" and finding your niche is not always easy at first. Not that I ever find this sort of thing to be extremely difficult, but the "uncomfortableness" crept up a time or two this week.

I was reminded that we can never get into the habit of placing the blame on others, but yet, look to ourselves and try to walk away from life's experiences with a deeper knowledge of what we feel comfortable doing, what the right thing to do is and where our focus should be.

Wow! Who knew a week's worth of teacher meetings and shelving library books could teach you all this? :-) Oh, and by the way...next time, I am sooo trying the "spider jump"!

2 comments:

Christi said...

Loved the speaker! I came home telling R all about it, but I don't think I had quite the same effect in my re-telling :)

Life As We Know IT said...

I liked him too, and with your excitement and love for your job you are going to be one great Librian!