Tuesday, June 19, 2012

"A-M-A-Z-I-N-G"

"That's what my God is to me."
**I started this post last Friday, but time restraints and other priorities have kept me from posting this until today.**
The words above are the words to one of my favorite 2012 VBS songs! I have been leading the music for VBS at our church this week, just as I have for the last 2 or 3 years. It's a lot of work to learn the songs and choreography, but it's a lot of fun, too. And the kids love it! (I don't remember VBS songs being this fun when I was younger.)What better way to learn and remember important Biblical principles than through song and dance, right? (Well, my conservative Southern Baptist friends might say we could leave the dance part out:), but I just can't help but think that one day we will certainly dance before our Lord and sing His praises. Why not do that on Earth, too?)

Less than a week before VBS 2012 started, our sweet friend, Lucy, got sick. Really, really sick. Lucy's mommy, Kate, is one of my dearest friends. It has been painful beyond belief to watch my friend hurt. Lucy has fought brain cancer since February 2011, and she has fought like a champion! I will never be able to put into words how I felt when the doctors discovered Lucy's cancer was back last Tuesday. My heart began to grieve. And I began to grieve with my dear friend as it seemed all hope was lost. We began to hope and pray that Lucy would have no suffering and that God would show mercy.
I have no doubt that God can heal a person on Earth, if He so chooses. And, of course, I have not and will never stop praying for the ultimate healing of Lucy's cancer. The horrible and hardest part of this human existence, is that sometimes God chooses to heal a person by allowing their life on Earth to end so that they might be complete in Heaven.
As I prepared my troubled heart Sunday night and Monday morning for the start of VBS, I found myself grasping to the words of the songs I was about to teach. I prayed that my human hurt, fear, and doubts be laid aside as I faced these children who needed to KNOW and BELIEVE that our God is powerful and can do anything. Our God is amazing!!

Amazingly, Lucy has had some improvements and my heart rejoiced as VBS week came to a close and Kate sent me reports that Lucy was awake more and talking. And then 2 nights ago, I laughed with Lucy as she thought it too funny to put her rubber frog on my shoulder and then watch my overly dramatic reaction to this "yucky" amphibian touching me.:) We read a book together, and I watched with a joyful heart as she ate a little something and took some steps to the bathroom. I have to believe that God is trying to show us that He's more than A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! He has reminded me this week that I must cling to Him because He has power over all things, no matter what happens.
As I drove in my car this weekend, the words to one of my favorite Chris Tomlin songs came on and those words have been sounding off in my head constantly... "Our God is Healer, awesome in power." Why had I thought that the kids needed to know and believe it...I needed to believe it again!!
Who says VBS is just for the kids, right?:) Even the "big kids" need to be reminded of God's power and that we must trust Him even when doctors tell us there is no hope.
"Our God is greater, our God is stronger. God, You are higher than any other!"

No comments: