Sunday, April 29, 2012

Race Diary

(Alright, this post is for Jan and me. This blog serves as our family story, and the running we started doing 8 months ago, is certainly an important part of "our story".)

Yesterday, Jan and I ran another 13.1 miles in the Dash for Dad Half Marathon in Memphis. The race was held at the Memphis Botanical Gardens, and it was a beautiful day for a race. A little wind to contend with, but overall, wonderful April weather.

Yesterday, was my 3rd half marathon in 5 months and Jan's 2nd half marathon in 6 weeks. I started this "running thing" approx. 8 months ago with a goal of just running my first 5k race. I ran my first race on August 20th, and what's funny is, I had signed up for the St. Jude half marathon for Dec. 3rd, but really thought I would just do the St. Jude 5k. (I had already checked out the process for "downgrading" from the 13.1 miles to 3.1 miles.) However, after August 20th, I decided to give it everything I had to try to do the 13.1. I ran whenever I could find the time. At first, Jan cheered me on and watched the children on the weekends while I worked on adding more miles to my runs. Then, about October, Jan decided to join me in running. Of course, with both of us running, we have had to rely some on my parents to help with the kids. Somehow, we've made it work. My mom has even been running races with us as you have probably seen in previous posts. We are now working on making this a family event with the children. This June, there will be a Kid's Triathlon, and the boys are signing up. Now, we have a different type of training to do.:)

Honestly, it is hard for me to imagine that only 8 months ago I started running and now I have completed 3 half marathons with decent, consistent finishing times. I would like to improve my finish times, but seeing as how I just started this, I am happy with what I have done so far. Mostly, I am thankful for the strength and health to be able to even finish.

I got an email the other day about pre-registering for the 2012 St. Jude Memphis Marathon Weekend, and I am "toying" around with the idea of signing up for the full marathon. That's 26.2 miles!!! Yeah, I am gonna have to think long and hard about that one. I would have alot of work to do...A half marathon just might be my limit.
What's ahead with running? Jan and I are probably going to sign up for the MRTC Road Race Series that starts in July and lasts through November. It's two races a month, gradually increases distances to run, and leads you right up to the St. Jude Marathon Weekend.

I know that after yesterday's half marathon, I probably won't be doing a distance like 13.1 miles for a little while. There's a couple of smaller races around here that I might sign up for in the months of May and June, but the idea of doing a longer race in the Memphis summer heat does not appeal to me whatsoever.

In close, I am thankful for the ability to enjoy running even with the little bit of pain in my knees that requires ice after the 13.1 miles I ran yesterday. I am thankful that I have been able to run with my husband. Friendly competition...right?! (Note: He's faster than me already and he hasn't been training as long. Oh well!) I am super proud of him!
So, that's where we are, and where we've been, with running.

And you better believe, after 3 half marathons, I am putting that 13.1 sticker on the back of my car!
Woo-hoo!!:)

No comments: