Friday, February 6, 2009

Words and Their Meanings

Well, I guess that you could say my dad received a good report and a bad report today. I tell you what, reading the words they use on those reports doesn't make it very easy to understand. Words and their meanings...BIG words that I am not sure of their meanings!

But out of all those BIG words, there was one word I understood...cancer. Dad said the doctors are calling this cancer...very early stage, though. The mass does not look to have matastasized (spelling?) so they will be sending him to a pulmonologist next week for a biopsy and further evaluation. Mom and Dad both came over tonight as I fixed supper to explain to Jan and me what the doctor said and what it all means. I watched carefully my dad's face as he went through the explanation of it all. And I wondered if he could sense my nervousness. (I hoped he didn't.) He's been through alot in the last few years, and I have faith that God's not finished working in his life. (Or mine) It's been almost two years ago that I wasn't sure I could believe in anything and especially in what was happening in my dad's life and addiction, another word I have begun to try to understand. And why it had happened. It began much like this situation has begun...with shock and fear. Yet, through it all, I can honestly say there is an overwhelming sense of peace as there was two years ago. Peace that I know can only come from my knowing and believing that God's got control of it all. There's a reason for this, I keep telling myself. And if there's something good to come of it, I pray God will allow my eyes and heart to be open to His plan. It could mean that I may never see the good that will come of this trial we face, but that won't stop me from believing that good will come. Cancer...it's a word I'm still having trouble processing at the moment, but just like addiction, it's probably got something to teach me about what it means.
Thank you for your prayers.

7 comments:

Life As We Know IT said...

Will surely add you and your family to my prayers.

Amy said...

Nicole,
You know that I will pray pray and pray for your Dad, AND your family.

Ms. Sarah Sullivan said...

you have an awesome outlook on this. it's wonderful news to hear it's in the early stages. God and the doctors can do amazing things. i'll be praying.

Susan said...

I love you! and your family! You are so amazing and have such a peace about this that we both know only comes from God. Please know that I am praying for you and for Daddy Nick. Remember that my offer still stands for next weekend. I will help anyway I can.
Love you,
Susan

Laura Dawson said...

It's hard to count your blessings in such a difficult time..but you are just that strong...your dad is blessed to have you as his daughter and you are blessed to have him as your father...You know I am thinking about you! c

kate said...

"Cast all your cares upon Him." Easier said than done, I know. Hold tight to His promises and you guys will make it through another storm. Love you all.

Elizabeth said...

We will keep you all in our prayers. My brother inlaw was diagnosed with bone cancer (Kevin's sister husband) and at the time he had 99% of his boby was cancer cells. They did not give him a great outlook. Now, almost three years later, he is in remission. It is amazing what doctors can do. Just have faith that everything will be fine. Our thoughts are with you.