Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Christmas Tidbits

It's Christmas morning. Happy birthday, Jesus! I am so very thankful to be here with my family. Thankful that we are healthy and happy. The excitement of the season has carried us through the last several weeks to this day, and we have enjoyed every minute of it. Last night, we stayed at home and enjoyed homemade soup, reading the Christmas story from the Bible, and opening a few presents from Mimi and Daddy Nick. Oh, the kids were so excited about their gifts!
Christmas Eve has been very different since we lost Jan's mother, but I felt her presence as I made the vegetable beef soup and cornbread we warmed our tummies with last night. I know she would have been impressed with how much the boys knew about Jesus' birth and life as we discussed His birthday and sacrifice He made for our lives.
My children do not attend a school with a Biblical focus or curriculum, and it saddens me that schools that do have Biblical curriculums are not financially possible for all families. I do everything I can to provide them with scripture at home, involving them at church, and trying to lead by example. This Christmas, and my goal for every Christmas in the future, is to provide my children with the example of giving to others. Shopping for a family who lost their belongings in a house fire recently was one thing we did this year. I hope that we can continue to adopt a local family every year. It's nice to send money and things to people living in third world countries, but there are so many right here who need help, too. This Christmas, I am so very thnkful for the blessings God has given us.
I will admit, it is a struggle to balance Santa and Jesus' birthday during the holiday season. The kids get so excited about their wish lists(and I do, too!). They are only allowed to ask for 3 things from Santa, a Christmas tradition my mother began with my brother and me. (Because that's how many gifts Jesus received from the Magi.) This year, John Owen and Jonah both asked for Nintendo DSi XL gaming systems, a Skylanders Wii game and figure, and a Pokemon trading card game. Mary Claire asked for a "big girl" bike, a sleeping bag, and a dollhouse. What fun they have had this morning seeing what Santa brought!
We have had our Christmas morning breakfast, and the children are now going back and forth between their gifts...:) I can hear Jan playing Christmas music downstairs and I want to go down to join him, so I will end this Christmas post with wishing you all a blessed and merry Christmas and a prosperous new year!
Since this post would not feel complete without some pictures, here's a few "looks" into our Christmas season celebrations:


Christmas City 2012

Mary Claire singing in her Christmas program at school.

The boys both shopped with their own money to buy gifts for family. Jonah gave me a green scarf 'cause "he knew that was my favorite color". John Owen gave me some ear muffs which he said I could use while running this winter. :)


Lots of Christmas baking going on...

Don't need any mistletoe for this kiss!:)
Merry Christmas!

No comments: