Saturday, April 25, 2009

Mommy Marathon

Lately my mind has been plagued by the fact that I can't seem to find the time to exercise. I know what you are thinking cause I have been thinking the same thing...with 3 kids, TIME is VERY limited! I used to be a fairly decent athlete, and I have always enjoyed exercising, but since Mary Claire arrived last May, exercising has taken a backseat to other things in my life! I admire my friend, Laura, for her dedication to running. I wish I could run a real marathon and have even toyed around with the idea of slowly getting myself back in shape and trying a marathon sometime in the future. (It's always good to set a goal, right?) So, with this in mind and with the finalization of my nursing Mary Claire, I decided to mark this past Monday as my 1st day of training! I was up a little before 6:00 a.m. (which my husband couldn't believe!) and was out the door! I loved being out there by myself in the early morning. Personally, I think it's the best time to walk or run. It's gonna have to be cause this is the only time I can seem to make right now!

I thought to myself...this is good! I'll do this everyday this week! Maybe a marathon IS in my future! I was truly excited! I went back and got ready for the day. Little did I know that God had another marathon in mind for me this week!

Monday went like this...Boys off to school, Mary Claire and Mommy to work, juggle office work and feeding Mary Claire breakfast, call dr. to tell them Jonah's neck was still hurting him, juggle more office work, ordered cake and cookies for John Owen's bday party, put Mary Claire down for a.m. nap, more office work, told Jan I was taking Jonah for neck x-ray per Dr. Davis, picked up boys from school, ran home, sweet Andi Katherine was there to take over with John Owen and Mary Claire while I tried to get Jonah back into the car to go the dr.(He was hurting and wasn't a happy camper!) I left with Jonah and picked up Jan who had decided he wanted to go with us to see what the dr. found out about Jonah's neck and fever that we had been dealing with for now 6 days! Whew!

2:30 xray at Meth. Germantown, 3:20 with Dr. Davis...who informed us Jonah would be admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics and a CT scan because something "hazy" had shown up on his x-ray! I think it all seemed to happen so fast that I didn't have time to think about it! You real reaction time!

We got back in the car, headed back to the hosptial, and checked my sweet Jonah into the same room he had stayed in for his tonsillectomy 2 months ago! What fate! That we would be in the same room! He remembered it and climbed right up in the bed and then asked if he could watch a movie...good grief!:-)

An IV was started, and I drove home QUICKLY to get clothes for Jonah and myself because we were told it might be a 2 night stay, plus I had to get some things squared away for the other 2 kiddos! I drove back to the hospital only to find out he had already had the CT scan and Dr. Klugg had called to diagnose Jonah with abscessed lymph nodes! I finally ate something although I didnt really have the appetite for it. I think we finally went to sleep some where around 10:45 or 11:00! Of course, I didn't sleep well, fearful of Jonah thrashing about in his sleep and IV coming out! And who can sleep with all the beeping and nurses coming in and out all night?

And so then from Monday to Thursday morning, I was there with Jonah as he received his medicine, underwent another CT scan, and believe me when I say we BOTH suffered from the side effects of the steroid medicine he was on! "Steriod Monster" (Why must this medicine have this effect on people?)

Home on Thursday (finally) and then it was off to the stores to play catch up on getting ready for John Owen's birthday! Picked John Owen from school, ran to Naifeh's to let him pick out cupcakes to take to class the next day, ran home, got everybody down for a nap, then started on getting house cleaned up and ready for the party. A couple of hours later, John Owen had his first baseball game of the season...a double header!!!

So, here I am, running what I am calling my "Mommy Marathon". I guess that's life, huh? My life anyway! So, maybe this is God's way of preparing me for my goal of running a REAL marathon someday. Maybe I'll get around to it, maybe I won't. One thing's for sure, I probably be runnin' in the "Mommy Marathon" for a while. I'll probably be runnin' so long, I won't know what to do when it stops. I can so see myself, like Forrest Gump when he stopped running all that way and someone asked him, "What ya' gonna do now?"


Laura Dawson said...

you are right....but to me it is like a marathon with a lot of sprints put in there and several falls on the concrete along the way!!

The Howard 5 said...

I know how you feel, it seems that there is always something! Hope he is feeling much better

Elizabeth said...

Wow, what a week! Hope you all are feeling better. I feel the same way about working get in a routine and have grand plans and then something always happens. You'll get there-probably like me, you don't know when.